Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Call

This morning I received a voice message from Paul S of the Massage Therapy Foundation just before I went out for a 10 k run.  I contemplated calling him before heading out, but I was pretty sure why he was calling.  Last month I sent in an application to run the Boston Marathon on a charity bib.  Two thoughts crossed my mind: He's either calling to say, "Congratulations, you're running!" or "Thanks for your application, but we have chosen another applicant." There are pro's and con's to both responses and at that moment, I just wanted to get a run in as I had been slacking for the last two weeks.  The trail run was not great, but it felt good to be out and daydream about Boston.  First thing I did upon my return home was to call Paul and hear those exciting and frightening words: "Congratulations! You have been selected to be a part of our Boston Marathon Charity Team!"

Everything went still and I stopped breathing for a few seconds.  Did he just say what I thought he said?  Am I hearing this correctly? I applied hoping I would be selected, yet thinking it would never happen.  This was one of those, "I would regret not trying" situations.  We discussed what will occur the next couple of weeks and at the end of the conversation I did my happy dance which consisted of the running man, the cabbage patch kid, the shuffle, and some parts of the Gangnam Style dance. I called Ted, my husband.  I texted my BFF, my business partner (an Iron Man and now my coach), and a few other people.  I posted an excited but not so revealing message on facebook and then began to panic.  

I started running less than one year ago.  I have never run in a marathon.  I only just ran my own personal marathon a few weeks ago.  Boston is a BIG DEAL! Qualifying time for women in my age group is 3 hours 40 minutes! I am going to be in the same race as some of the most amazing athletes in the world.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?!  Wait, I know. I love running. I love the peace and quite. I love the endorphins.  I love being amazed at the things the human body can do...especially my own body.  And I LOVE an exciting challenge.  I am honored to be selected to a part of the Massage Therapy Foundation Team running in the 2013 Boston Marathon.  I AM SO EXCITED!

1 comment:

  1. Kathy: Your soul is wise, your body is able, and you are ready. Whether you believe it or not, you chose this path and you are realizing an achievement for which you've been preparing for some time now: physically, mentally, spiritually. I wish you great fortune in your achievement - what will become a sacred and personally-fulfilling life event. The cards are stacked in your favor, and Fate is the Dealer. Move forward, my friend, and know that you have a world of support behind you.

    ReplyDelete